Sunday, May 16, 2010

Good Sites about Brain

It took me days to find the two I liked. Most of websites are highly specialized (education, psychology, problems with learning, commerce, hard to understand research papers - something like this). I found tons of book titles that I am going to keep in mind and try to comment on as I read. My primary interest is in brain development and training because I'm starting to worry about my own brain in need of a boost.

That's why I chose this site, which, as I understand, grew out of a book: http://braindance.com/homepage.htm The slogan is Work Smarter, Learn Faster and Manage Information More Effectively, which is exactly what's needed to catch my attention. The site design is nothing special - I would say, no design at all. Pure information. The site is based on a book called Brain Dancing by Patrick Magee. His acknowledged influence is Tony Buzan, the Mind Mapping inventor. There is, I guess, a shorter, or modified version of the book on the actual site called Brain Dancing for Students - these are suggestions for optimizing learning process, specifically, improving reading skills, memory, using such techniques as Mind Mapping. Patrick Magee writes:"Most people will spend about 100 hours during their lifetime just tying their shoes.Imagine how much time we will spend reading, remembering and learning! Doesn't it make sense to invest some time today towards optimizing the strategies you use to perform these activities? It is one thing to read a book on a specific topic, and quite another to read something that improves the effectiveness with which you learn any topic from that point forward." I agree.

My next site is http://brainconnection.positscience.com/. It is an interesting, very informative, easy to read, and entertaining website that involves everything concerning our brains. It is designed in a form of a magazine - major news, departments, blogs, ads, games, book recommendations and other related links. What I like about it is that it's a cluster of various bits of information collected in one place - easy to find major topics on brain, and get some basic knowledge that later can be expanded elsewhere, if needed. Is is a good place to start.

A little extra: http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/index_a.html. This is a fun introduction to the brain basics called The Brain from Top to Bottom. They also claim that you can use their material in your interactive multimedia presentations, which is nice to know since I'm pursuing the Instructional Design and Technology degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment